Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
--C.S. Lewis--

Monday, October 13, 2008

Something To Ponder

As I picked up a tall, non-fat, no whip, pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks for the wife yesterday, it occurred to me that buying sissy, complicated coffee beverages may be the 21st century equivalent of holding your wife's purse outside the dressing rooms at Macys. I always have her write her beverages down, since my brain isn't capable of holding any drink order longer than "large coffee" (and yes, I refuse to use their silly size names), so I always make certain that I'm very obvious about reading the drink order off of the paper, hoping desperately that no one will assume I would ever order such a thing as a pumpkin spice latte. When I escape out to the car, I crank Brad Paisley and draw comfort from the fact that she's really hot.