Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
--C.S. Lewis--

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

No, YOU Release YOUR Transcripts

Has anyone been following the duel cries by supporters of McCain and Obama to release Obama and Palin's (respectively) college transcripts? Let me first stipulate that I don't care whose grades were better. Let me secondly stipulate that I would guess Obama probably had the superior GPA (he got into freakin' Harvard people, what do you think you're going to find?). Let me thirdly stipulate that there is no doubt in my mind that both candidates have higher GPA's than I do.

The reason I find this interesting, given all of the above, is not because I think that their grades will reveal anything new, or change the minds of any voters out there. Rather it's because I have yet to find a source asking for BOTH sets of transcripts. The Obama people want to see Palin's, the McCain people want to see Obama's. Both groups seem convinced that this will prove something about the other side, and yet both groups also see no reason to advocate that their guy release all college info in order to prove something about their side.

Anyway, make of it what you will. And if you find anyone asking both sides to release their records, pass 'em on. Maybe it will restore my faith in humanity. Eh, probably not.