Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
--C.S. Lewis--

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Long Hiatus

I'm sure that there were hundreds of people waiting with baited breath for my return to blogging. Well, wait no longer! As I said in my last post, we went to Disney World. It was surprisingly magical. I say "surprisingly" because if there are three things I hate, they are humidity, crowds, and the Disney Corporation (it's a long story, but suffice it to say I didn't take the cancellation of the Main Street Electrical Parade well, and Michael Eisner has now learned to lock his doors at night). But, despite all of that, it was a wonderful trip, and I have the birthday, anniversary, and 1st time visitor buttons to prove it. (Along with a mild crush on Cinderella!)

We also saw the Kennedy Space Center. I wanted to give all the poor astronauts a hug. They really try hard to be exciting, they really do. Unfortunately, true space travel is an impossibly nerdy and complex combination of physics, engineering, patience, and precision. It's fascinating if you're nerdy enough, but not exciting. That doesn't stop them from trying to make it so, though. At one point, we were on an observation platform, and I heard music playing. It sounded familiar, and then it dawned on me. They were playing the STAR TREK TMP theme. It made me so sad for them that I wanted to cry. We really do love you guys, even if we are a generation raised on images of effortless space travel and phaser-fights with cool aliens!

On the trip, I made it a point to ignore all current events. On top of that, the only really big events since I've been back are the debates and the bailout. While I understand the bailout and have some definite opinions on it, I don't feel confident enough in my knowledge to opine on them. (I can hear someone out there now, saying, "What? You mean the stuff you've been commenting on thus far is what you think you KNOW about?") As for the debates, Sarah Palin lost, but she's still far more likable than Joe Biden, and likable gets you a lot of mileage in politics.

That's all for now. I'm glad to be back home, even if the country is falling apart.

P.S. Oh yeah. The dog is clingier than ever now that we're home. Apparently he got so depressed he wasn't even chasing cats.