Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
--C.S. Lewis--

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Obama Isn't Kenyan

For those who haven't heard, there are at least two separate lawsuits claiming Barack Obama was born in Kenya, which would apparently make him ineligible for natural citizenship. The way the law worked at the time, if you were born outside the US, to one citizen and one non-citizen parent, the citizen parent has to be at least 19 for you to be a natural citizen. His mom was only 18 at the time. Furthermore, the lawsuit claims Obama may have lost his citizenship when he moved with his family to Indonesia. I don't know quite how that works, because I stopped reading out of annoyance before they explained.

My only response is, seriously? Number one, I don't believe it's true. (Please also note that I am not including links, so as not to help anyone with their traffic.) His whole family and all their close friends would have to be in on it. And what would have been the purpose of lying about the citizenship of a baby? Did his mother seriously say to herself, "I'd better make it look like this kid is a naturalized citizen just in case he runs for president someday..."

Number two, and more importantly, EVEN IF IT WERE, is that really the way you want to win? Is invoking a second constitutional crisis in 8 years, at a time of great economic turmoil, when the country is already enveloped in partisan rancor, really better than losing an election? I stand second to no one (sane) in my fear of the damage an Obama administration will do, but REALLY? So many people have so much invested in this man that there would be riots in the streets. Heck, I'd probably join them.

My only solace is that the driving force behind this effort is a Hillary supporter. I'd like to believe that conservatives have more class than to act like this. Prove me right guys!