Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
--C.S. Lewis--

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Convention Thoughts

-I don't think I could ever attend either party's convention without gagging a little bit.

-Will seeing Sarah Palin's daughter last night at the convention finally put an end to rumors that the McCain campaign was blindsided by the pregnancy despite claiming otherwise? What, did the vetting team just think she was playacting with pillows?

-I always thought that the one edge Barack Obama could never lose was the "I have the cutest daughters ever" advantage. Meet Piper Palin. Game. Set. Match.

-Maryland doesn't deserve Michael Steele.

-I say this with all the love of someone who voted for him in the primary, but do you ever get the feeling when Mitt Romney's speaking, that he desperately wishes he had a pie chart and a Powerpoint presentation behind him?

-Despite my issues with him politically, Rudy Giuliani is quite the effective mocker-of-the-other-guy...er. He was insulting, but in a funny way, rather than the angry manner of Democratic attacks on John McCain. I really feel like our guys are having more fun in this race.

-Again, despite my issues with him, the best line of the night was from the Huckster. "And speaking of Gov. Palin, I am so tired of hearing about her lack of experience. I want to tell you folks something. She got more votes running for mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, than Joe Biden got running for president of the United States."

-Prior to last night, I thought Palin's best advantage in the debates would be the Rick Lazio effect. Now, I'm a little worried about poor Joe Biden. Prepare for death by a thousand snarky comments. "Before I became governor of the great state of Alaska, I was mayor of my hometown. And since our opponents in this presidential election seem to look down on that experience, let me explain to them what the job involves. I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a 'community organizer,' except that you have actual responsibilities." Oh snap!